Skip to main content

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X Review

Thanks to PS Now I was able to fill a gap in RE games I had not played.

RE games from 0 to 6 I have played, the only title that I did not play was Resident Evil Code Veronica X. So I rented Code Veronica X from PS Now and little did I know that this would soon become the 2nd worst RE game I've played (the first being Operation Raccoon City).

This is Code Veronica X.

Presentation

Code Veronica X, before RE 4, did have some graphical improvements from previous RE titles. For starters, faces move and show emotion....as best it can. As well as in-game cutscenes with characters doing more than just the standard running animation you would see during gameplay.

Cutscene animations look pretty good, they're mostly comparable to RE2 and RE3 cutscenes.

The voice acting however in this game is atrocious. Either these were inept voice actors or the director told them "Don't bother trying. Just make sounds."

But then again, Resident Evil dialogue hasn't exactly been Oscar winning material in the past.

Gameplay

My claim at this being the 2nd worst RE game I have ever played is due to the difficulty.

I have had to restart the game twice because of being unable to complete a part of the game either due to a lack of certain ammunition or herbs/ F.Aid Sprays.

I'll get to that later though.

Gameplay is very similar to past RE games but I noticed that compared to the past games, this one has much more challenge than past RE games.

Herbs are scarce, ammo is almost nonexistent and there are plenty of enemies that will be there to force you into using certain healing items or stop you dead in your tracks. More than usual I might add.

Especially in the first half of this game there's hardly any ammo or any herbs to make up for the amount of enemies within the game. Especially the amount of enemies that can overwhelm you in an instant.

At least for me, past RE games have proven to be somewhat challenging, but never so challenging that I needed to restart the game from the beginning because of an obstacle in my path I realized I couldn't overcome because of an oversight.

I didn't know that I was supposed to save my Anti B.O.W. grenade launcher rounds for the 2nd battle with the Tyrant on the airplane. I didn't know I was supposed to have a certain set of healing items to escape Tyrant-Steve.

This RE title loses points from me for having these obstacles that if not approached with the right equipment, GAME OVER. If you don't have the Anti B.O.W. rounds for the Tyrant, you can't beat him at all. If you don't have several healing items for the T-Steve encounter, you can't make it past the encounter at all.

This RE title in particular does not have what I would call a fair challenge. The past RE games did, that's why I liked them so much. The sense of accomplishment in this game, at least for me, was suppressed by the sense of dread as I knew that it was only going to get worse than it already was or if I didn't bring a certain item with me or didn't put a certain item back in the item box. Progression was going to be much harder.

There's not even a different difficult to choose from.

RE4's Professional Mode was a walk in the park compared to how difficult this game was.

Battle Mode

When and if you do beat the campaign. You unlock the bonus game, Battle Mode, very similar to The 4th Survivor mini-game from Resident Evil 2 except with unlimited ammo for everything, character specific boss fights and doors leading to random locations from the game.

The challenge here is much more simpler, kill every enemy in every room in short amount of time and don't die.

There really isn't much to this mode. If you do beat the Battle Mode with an A rank with every character you unlocked the Linear Launcher for Battle Mode.

Other than that, if you simply want to run around with an infinite ammo magnum killing everything with a one shot kill(except the boss) it may be a good break away from the main game.

The Verdict

Resident Evil Code Veronica X simply put is a Resident Evil game set on Hard from start to finish.

The challenge here is again something I would not call fair.

The challenge in Code Veronica X is really high and I would highly advise anybody who will play this, regardless of challenge to take a couple of looks at a walkthrough or take some advice from your veteran Resident Evil friends.

Aside from that, there's nothing exceptionally bad about the game except the voice acting.

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X gets a score of 6 out of 10


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 Weapon Guide:M-TAR Assault Rifle

Hello everyone, time for my first weapon guide of Black Ops 2. Today we're looking at the starting assault rifle, the M-TAR. History The Micro-Tar is a micro version of the TAR-21 rifle. It's designed to take advantage of a shorter barrel which means decreased recoil but increased accuracy. Designed for special fores units, it is capable of converting to different ammo variants such as the NATO standard 5.56 cartridge and the 9mm submachine gun round. It is also designed to be capable of attaching a Suppressor, as of 2009 a grenade launcher was being designed to attach to the M-TAR, the M-TAR can attach the M203PI grenade launcher. If you're a FPS veteran then you saw this weapon first in Battlefield 3 as part of the Close Quarters DLC, for COD veterans we saw this weapon's bigger brother, the TAR-21 in Modern Warfare 2. I'm warning you now, the M-TAR is not the TAR-21 we saw in Modern Warfare 2. Multiplayer Stats, Attachments and Performance In gam

Retro Gazette Reviews:Batman Returns SNES Review

Hello everyone. Welcome to another one of my Retro Reviews. Today we're going to be looking at a personal favorite of mine from the Super Nintendo era. Batman Returns. Story Music If you can't tell all ready from the intro video above, the music to Batman Returns for the SNES sounds great and does a good job of recreating some of the songs we heard in the film. My personal favorite stage music is from Stage 7 when you enter Arctic World, The Liberation of Gotham track sounds amazing in 16 bit audio. It's strange to review the music in a video game but the audio stands out so much and does an amazing job, again of recreating the films' soundtrack. Presentation The graphics and detail of Batman Returns is very good and ironically is much more colorful than the Tim Burton film. Gotham City, although currently suffering from a clown riot looks fantastic and Konami yet again does a good job of recreating scenes from the film, you see all these backgro

L.A. Noire Review

Hello everyone, I hope you've been enjoying my reviews and I'm here to review one of my personal favorites. L.A. Noire. L.A. Noire by Rockstar Games, developed by Team Bondi is a very unique open-world game. L.A. Noire is the total opposite of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto series, this time you play to bring law to L.A. Let's jump right into L.A. Noire. Story It's the late 1940s' in Los Angeles, historically recorded as the most violent time in LA history. You play as Cole Phelps a "war hero" of WWII and returns to L.A. and still wants to continue to fight the good fight by joining the L.A.P.D. you come in when Cole starts to take the initiative on his duties, he starts off as a regular patrol officer then quickly starts to be known as the L.A.P.D.'s golden boy and quickly becomes an L.A.P.D. detective. The story is told out through the cases you play on when you reach certain police desks in the game, each police desk has it's